New Zealand name change for transgender people

Disclaimer: This is legal talk, not legal advice. Laws vary by state, and some of the information discussed on this page may not be applicable in your case. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and provide it without warranty. Laws change and this information may contain errors and omissions. It is up to you to confirm any information herein by doing your own research.

In September 2003 a reader sent the following:

New Zealand:

(1) Download form BDM120 (change of name by Statutory
Declaration) from Births, Deaths and Marriages

(2) Fill out the form (old name, new name, sign here).
The signature on page 2 has to be witnessed by
someone authorized under the Oaths and Declarations
Act (lawyer, notary public, government officer etc).
I used a U.S. notary public without problem.

(3) Mail in with the fee and birth certificate or other
evidence of date/place of birth. Currently the fee
is NZ $125 if born in New Zealand, $80 if not.
Plus $20 for each official copy of the declaration
required. Credit cards accepted.
(Ouch! that's doubled since I did it a couple of
years ago).

(4) wait about 2-3 weeks...
I changed my name in both New Jersey and New Zealand. I won't
try to recount the details of getting a New Jersey court order
(the forms and procedure differ by county...) Suffice to say
New Zealand was far easier, quicker and cheaper, despite
not currently living there.

Other resources


New Zealand law

Precedent for transsexuals

[no specific case noted]