Hawaii name change for transgender people

Disclaimer: This is legal talk, not legal advice. Laws vary by state, and some of the information discussed on this page may not be applicable in your case. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and provide it without warranty. Laws change and this information may contain errors and omissions. It is up to you to confirm any information herein by doing your own research.

From a reader in February 2005:

I wanted to give you an update on the forms and costs for name changes in Hawaii. I just did mine in the past month and this site has the newer information compared to what I sent to you earlier.

Lt Governor James R. "Duke" Aiona Jr., State of Hawai'i - Name Changes


It's a very simple process that only takes a couple of weeks. I submitted my forms and a copy of my birth certificate on December 29, 2004, paid $50.00 and got the preliminary form back from the Lt. Governor on January 5, 2005.

I took the preliminary approval to a newspaper on January 19 and had it published on January 20 for $50.00. I received the formal approval on January 24 and had it recorded on January 27, 2005. I could have done it much faster if I had chosen to. Had I submitted the name change notice for publication right away I would have had the final document recorded by mid-January.

I have had all of my legal documents changed as of February 10, 2005 albeit not totally satisfactorily because Honolulu will not change the M to F on my license until I have completed SRS.

I hope this is helpful.

A reader writes in March 2004:

Hi, I'm sending a link to forms and instructions for legal name changes in Hawaii. I hope this helps to had Hawaii to the list.

State of Hawaii - Public Forms <http://www2.hawaii.gov/StateForms/ShowForm.cfm?StartRow=51>

Other comments and resources


Hawaii state law

Legal precedent for transsexuals

[not known]